In the period 1945-1990, the border between the Czech Republic and Germany formed part of the Iron curtain and was heavily fenced and strictly guarded. In 2006 passport control was still in place. The Czech Republic joined the Schengen Area in 2007, which led to the abolition of all passport checks. The border is marked by a river (Vilémovský potok in Czech and Wölmsdorfer Bach in German). A bridge spans the river immediately after the passport control building which is in Germany. This building was removed in 2008.
Border in 2008
Date of Visit: 10.08.2006